|Gammon joint is delicious with a traditional parsley sauce, steamed potatoes and seasonal vegetables. For a gastro pub style lunch or dinner, serve it thinly sliced with buttery fried eggs, homemade chunky chips and a generous spoonful of English mustard.
Our free range pork comes from the best, local suppliers. We have always been very selective. We source local meat from farms in Wiltshire and Somerset, and make sure that we get the very best and most sustainable breeds for the season. At every stage, we promote traditional, sustainable farming practices that make for happy pigs and delighted customers. Free range practices make for happier, healthier pigs and result in a far more delicious product. Add this gammon joint to your basket and we’re sure you will agree.
The best meat deserves the best preparation. That’s why we work with master butchers who have prepared this gammon joint to the very highest standard. Our butchers have trimmed and tied this meat expertly so it is ready to cook and serve. This also means you can slice the gammon neatly and portion it fairly. We go to this effort to maintain the quality you have come to expect from The Black Farmer.
|5 Days from date of delivery
|While we’d be surprised if you could resist the temptation to enjoy immediately, please keep refridgerated unless you intend to eat it right away! Otherwise all our quality meat is suitable for freezing to preserve its taste and texture, meaning you can cook and serve it when you fancy. Once it’s been frozen, please thaw your meat slowly and thoroughly, ideally in the fridge overnight. We vacuum-pack our meat to naturally extend its freshness and make it suitable for home-freezing.
|This pack contains 1 piece. Your item will arrive in a 100% recycled box lovingly packed with FSC-certified shredded spruce from Britain and Sweden, natural sheep’s wool insulation and non-toxic chilled gel packs, all of which can be reused, composted or recycled. To recycle the gel packs, simply cut a corner and dispose of the contents through your normal domestic waste system, as the gel isn’t harmful to the environment. Better still, reuse them by storing in the freezer and chilling other products. The only component from our packaging that can’t be recycled are the foil liners which need to be go in household waste; the poly bags meat comes in in need to go in plastic recycling.
|COUNTRY OF ORIGIN
Here’s a basic cooking instruction for a smoked gammon joint:
- Preparing the Gammon Joint:
- If your gammon joint is cured, it’s advisable to soak it in cold water overnight to remove excess salt. If it’s already labeled as “ready to cook,” you can skip this step.
- Before cooking, rinse the joint under cold water to remove any remaining brine or impurities. Pat it dry with a paper towel.
- Boiling the Gammon Joint:
- Place the gammon joint in a large pot or Dutch oven, and cover it with cold water.
- Optionally, you can add aromatics like bay leaves, cloves, peppercorns, or vegetables such as onions, carrots, and celery for added flavor.
- Bring the water to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer.
- Simmer the joint for about 20 minutes per pound (or 45 minutes per kilogram). A typical gammon joint weighs around 2-3 pounds (0.9-1.4 kilograms), so adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Skim off any scum or foam that rises to the surface during cooking.
- Roasting the Gammon Joint:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Remove the joint from the pot and place it on a roasting rack or in a roasting pan.
- Score the skin of the gammon joint in a diamond pattern using a sharp knife, being careful not to cut too deeply into the meat.
- Optionally, you can brush the joint with a glaze made from a mixture of honey, mustard, and brown sugar for added flavor and a shiny finish.
- Roast the gammon joint in the preheated oven for approximately 20 minutes per pound (or 45 minutes per kilogram) until the skin is crispy and golden brown.
- Resting and Serving:
- Once the gammon joint is cooked, remove it from the oven and allow it to rest for about 15-20 minutes. This resting period helps the meat retain its juices.
- Slice the gammon joint into thin or thick slices, depending on your preference.
- Serve the smoked gammon joint alongside your favorite sides like roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes, or a fresh salad.
- Enjoy your delicious smoked gammon joint!
Remember, cooking times may vary depending on the size and thickness of the joint, so it’s always a good idea to use a meat thermometer to ensure it reaches an internal temperature of 145°F (63°C).
We entrust DPD to deliver everything you order to mainland addresses in the UK. You can select you preferred delivery date at check-out. Next-day delivery has a cut-off time of 12pm, but please note, next-day delivery is not available on everything. Gift messages may also be added and personalised at check-out. For more information, please visit our Delivery & Returns page.