Coconut Rice & Peas
This is the perfect accompaniment to so many dishes – particularly Curry Goat and Jerk Chicken!
- 2 cups Coconut Milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 Spring Onion (Scallion) crushed
- 1 small Onion, chopped
- 1tbsp diced fresh Ginger
- 2 sprigs Thyme
- 1 can Red Kidney Beans
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 1/2 cups Rice
- 1 small Scotch Bonnet pepper
- Combine Coconut Milk and water in a 3 litre pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the spring onion, onion, thyme, Ginger, Red Kidney Beans, salt and stir well.
- Stir in rice and the whole Scotch Bonnet pepper; cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and allow the rice to steam with lid on until grains are tender yet soft.
Be careful in stirring to avoid bursting the pepper.