Make this dish the day before and allow the flavours to really mingle. Simply reheat on the hob until piping hot. Serve with lashings of creamy mashed potato to soak up those delicious red wine juices.
- 1.75kg chicken, jointed into 8 pieces
- 300ml full-bodied red wine
- 2 garlic cloves, bruised
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 150ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 100g pancetta, cut into thick strips
- 12 shallots, peeled and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 450ml fresh chicken stock
- 25g unsalted butter
- 150g baby button mushrooms, trimmed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put the chicken, red wine, garlic, thyme, bay leaves and balsamic vinegar into a large freezer bag. Seal and leave to marinate for 4-8 hours in the fridge.
- Remove the chicken from the freezer bag and reserve the marinade. Pat the chicken dry with kitchen paper and set aside. Heat the oil in a large casserole pan and cook the chicken for 5 minutes, in batches, until brown all over. Remove and set aside.
- Add the pancetta and fry for 3-4 minutes until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the shallots and cook gently for 5 minutes until starting to brown.
- Remove the garlic cloves from the reserved marinade and crush. Add to the casserole pan along with half the cooked pancetta. Stir in the tomato puree and flour and cook for 1 minute. Then gradually pour in the stock, stirring until combined. Pour in the reserved marinade and return the chicken pieces to the pan. Bring to the boil, cover and gently simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue to simmer for 15 minutes until the juices are slightly thickened and the chicken is cooked. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a frying pan and fry the mushrooms into the pan along with the remaining bacon. Check the seasoning and serve immediately.
Buy all the available ingredients for this recipe