Pork heart is best cooked slowly. We suggest braising it with onion, carrot and celery for a couple of hours. You can then stuff with herb and sausage before roasting to finish. Offal when done well is absolutely delicious and very good for you.
Our free range pigs feed on grass and lead happy lives in the great British countryside. We work with trusted, local farms to make sure we have the best breeds for the season. At every stage, we support traditional farming methods and encourage a sustainable and ethical approach to meat eating. The practices we promote, use and endorse reduce animal stress and lower food miles.
We work with traditional expert butchers to make sure that this pork heart cut is of the highest standard. This assists with flavour, ease-of-cooking, and presentation. This is central to maintaining the quality you have come to expect from The Black Farmer.
Our pork heart is vacuum packed to keep the meat fresh for longer. It is also suitable for home freezing, just be sure to defrost thoroughly before cooking. The easiest way is simply to leave in the fridge overnight.
This pack contains 1 piece.
Marinated pig heart recipe:
- 1 pig heart, approx. ¾ pound
- 1 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh parsley (small), chopped
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Slice the heart lengthwise. Cut out any connective tissue and sinewy bits. Trim away fat and silver skin. Then dice into 1 inch cubes.
- Place the chunks into a plastic bag (or other preferred marinating vessel). Add the remaining ingredients. Close up the bag and use your fingers to massage everything around until it seems to be blended nicely. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- To cook: Heat a cast iron pan (or other preferred skillet) over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, bring 1 Tablespoon of olive oil to smoking, then dump the diced heart and all of the marinaded goodness into the pan. Add 3 Tablespoons of butter. Mix everything around real good. Cook for approx. 7-10 minutes, stirring frequently and scraping the bottom of the pan as you do. As soon as things look nicely browned, cut each chunk in half. The herbs will get crispy and delicious- be sure not to leave any of the marinade contents behind when you go to eat. Serve with a baked potato and a fresh salad.
This product has a shelf life of 12 days from the date of delivery.
Product photography is representative only. As these products are freshly butchered for your order, sizes and thicknesses may vary. Weights and portions will be as stated.