Make sure that you remove the pork belly from the fridge at least an hour before serving. Season well, rub oil into the skin, and cook at a low heat until the crackling is crunchy and the meat soft and juicy.
Serve pork belly with a beautiful cider sauce by reducing a cup of apple juice. Once it’s a syrup, add a cup of cider and repeat the process. Finally, add a cup of cream to the apple juice and cider reduction and heat through. Season to taste. Serve with runner beans and steamed new potatoes.
The best meat deserves the best preparation. That’s why we work with master butchers who have prepared this pork belly to the very highest standard. Our butchers have trimmed this meat expertly so it is ready to cook and serve. This also means you can slice neatly and portion it fairly. We go to this effort to maintain the quality you have come to expect from The Black Farmer.
Our free range pigs feed on grass and lead happy lives in the great British countryside. We work with trusted, local farms to make sure we have the best breeds for the season. At every stage, we support traditional farming methods and encourage a sustainable and ethical approach to meat eating. The practices our trusted suppliers use reduce animal stress and lower food miles.
- Score the pork belly using a very sharp knife.
- Lay the pork, skin-side up, on a rack in a roasting tin. Rub with oil and season with salt. This process helps the fat run out and skin to crisp.
- Transfer to a preheated oven. Check your recipe for times and temperatures. Pork belly needs a combination of slow, gentle heat to tenderise the meat, plus a shorter blast at a higher heat to crisp up the skin.
- Cook at 180C/160C fan/gas 4 for 2 hrs 15 mins, then turn up the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 for a further 35 minutes to crisp the crackling.
- Once cooked (the pork should be tender; this can be easily tested by piercing the flesh with a knife), remove the pork from the oven, then leave to rest for 10-15 minutes before carving.
This product has a shelf life of 12 days from the date of delivery.
Product photography is representative only. As these products are freshly butchered for your order, sizes and thicknesses may vary. Weights and portions will be as stated.
This contains 1 piece of pork packed.