High-quality minced beef is also the basis for a true British classic: Cottage Pie. It is worth taking the time to cook the mince slowly in a cast-iron pan. Allow it to render and release its water. It will brown and, when it starts to crackle, it means you are singeing the meat, which should be your aim. Stir in finely chopped onions, carrots and celery, then add crushed garlic, herbs, tomato puree and Worcestershire sauce to taste. We recommend adding enough beef stock to cover and then slowly simmering the mince until it’s rich and flavoursome. Allow to set in the fridge, then add mashed potato with a small amount of egg yolk in it. This will give you a luscious, browned topping.
We source local meat from farms in Wiltshire, Somerset and the South West. The Black Farmer makes sure that we get the absolute best and most sustainable breeds for the season. Our free range cows feed on grass and lead happy lives in the great British countryside. By working with local produce and farmers, we promote and encourage a sustainable and ethical approach to meat eating. This reduces animal stress and lowers food miles as much as possible.
Even the best meat still requires expert preparation, so we work with master butchers who ensure our minced beef is in perfect condition. This is central to maintaining the quality you expect from The Black Farmer.
The shelf life of our minced beef is 12 days from date of delivery. This pack is 400g.
Our minced beef is suitable for freezing at home. If you choose to freeze it for later, make sure to leave plenty of time for it to thaw properly. The easiest way is to pop it in the fridge overnight.
- Add the chopped onions to a pot at low heat with your olive oil. Allow the onions to soften and stir now and again.
- Add the beef and fry until browned.
- Add the plain flour and stir rigourously while cooking for around 2 minutes.
- Pour in your beef stock, Worcestershire Sauce and salt and pepper and bring to the boil stirring. Once the sauce has thickened slightly turn the heat down low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Simmer for ten minutes on a low heat.
- Serve with rice, potatoes or veggies.
Product photography is representative only. As these products are freshly butchered for your order, sizes and thicknesses may vary. Weights and portions will be as stated.