Being served a perfectly cooked steak is a real treat. Here’s my recipe to achieve the best result. Remember, take the steak out of the fridge well in advance of cooking so it is at room temperature when you start cooking.
PERFECT PAN SEARED RUMP STEAK
- 2 Rump steak (1 ½ inch thick) (room temperature) Any size – Sirloin or Fillet can be used instead
- 2 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1/2tsp Mixed Spice
- 1/2tsp Ground pimento
- Salt & Pepper
- 4 tablespoon Butter
- 4 Thyme Sprigs
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- Preferably bring steak to room temperature before cooking.
- Season well on both sides with mixed spice, ground pimento, salt & pepper.
- Add oil to a pan and bring to hottest setting, allow oil to get hot before adding steak. Keep it set to the hot setting throughout cooking!
- Rump Steak cooking time on each side – Based on a 1-inch thick cut. Add more time for a thicker cut or less for a thinner cut.
- After the first side has had the right cooking time, flip to the other side.
- Add butter and fresh thyme into the pan. Once the butter has melted in the pan time for the same as before for the desired doneness.
- During this final cooking time use a spoon to continuously coat the steak with the melted butter whilst it is cooking.
- Rest it for 2 minutes and serve.
We also recommend the following for a 2cm thick Rump Steak:
• Blue: 1 minutes each side / Core temperature 54C
• Rare: 1½ minutes per side / Core temperature 57C
• Medium rare: 2 minutes per side / Core temperature 63C
• Medium: About 2¼ minutes per side / Core temperature 71C
• Well-done steak: Cook for about 4-5 minutes each side, depending on thickness. / Core temperature 75C